Thursday, April 4, 2013

Observed At The Wall

Day 4

OBSERVED AT THE WALL


With stooped shoulders one hand raised above

his bowed head

He leans into the granite wall in his other hand

pencil and paper



One name among thousands

etched on the paper



a high school friend

an older brother

a prodigal son

a father never known

a fallen comrade



Tears pool at his feet as

the flag is lowered

The last rays of the days sun

dance across the sky



The final notes of retreat fade into

silence on the mall

He leaves a gift and

slowly walks away



The etched paper

heavy in his hand

Dale Butler
April 2013




3 comments:

  1. Wow! What an evocative and haunting description. Nice job, Dale! It reminds me of a painting I've seen, depicting a similar scene. It moved me to tears, as well. It's as if you were there. Were you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there in the early 90s. That scene has stuck with me all this time. I saw many similar scenes while there. I don't know anyone with their name on the wall. I did have a friend wounded, but that didn't rank a name on the wall.
    Dale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Dale...packed with emotion. I'm glad I found you here at last!
    Lynn
    Ps, this is harder this year for some reason.

    ReplyDelete